The Priest's House

Holcombe Rogus, Devon

Overview

A survivor from 1500, the Priest's House was half village hall and half inn. Parish feasts would have been held here on saint’s days, and hospitality was offered to guests. 

  • CotCot
  • Fire or StoveFire or Stove
  • Logs availableLogs available
  • Parking AvailableParking Available
  • BathBath
  • DishwasherDishwasher
  • MicrowaveMicrowave
  • ShowerShower

Beds 1 Twin, 1 Double

Sleeps
4
4 nights from
£424 equivalent to £26.50 per person, per night

The Church House

The Priest’s House should really be called the Church House, because that is what it was, acting as half village hall and half inn. Probably built around 1500; it has fine moulded beams and a cooking hearth across one end, with another large open fire dominating the cosy, oak-lined sitting room.

By some lucky chance it was never converted to another use, but dwindled instead into a parish store. The reason probably lies in its position, squeezed between the garden of Holcombe Court (a fine Tudor house), the stony church lane and the churchyard.

Reinstated oak partitions and stone floors

Several old windows survived and inside, where there was evidence to show they had existed, we put back oak partitions and laid a stone floor so that the main rooms have much the same character as they did when used for village gatherings.

Holcombe Rogus is a village in a beautiful part of Devon, close to the Somerset border, where ancient lanes take you to unexpected but always rewarding places. The church has a good tower, a chiming clock and the memorable pew of the Bluett family who lived at Holcombe Court until the last century.

Floor Plans

Floor plan of the Priest's House

Reviews

Map & local info

The Priest’s House lies between the garden of Holcombe Court, the stony church lane and a churchyard, in Holcombe Rogus, a small, beautiful and rural part of Devon, close to the Blackdown Hills and the Somerset border.

Cleeve Abbey is a haven of peace and tranquility, said to contain the finest cloister buildings in England. Although the abbey church was destroyed by Henry VIII during the dissolution of 1536, the beautiful cloister buildings still survive today.

 Sheppy's Cider Farm is just 30 minutes in the car from The Priest's House, where you can learn about 200 years of cider making in the same family. 

Don't miss out on Hestercombe Gardens, a unique combination of three centuries of garden design all beautifully restored and maintained. Look out for particular lectures, guided walks and children's activities held throughout the year. 

For more ideas and things to do during your stay at The Priest's House, take a look at our Pinterest  map.

Please Note: The Landmark Trust does not take any responsibility and makes no warranties, representations or undertakings about the content of any website accessed by hypertext link. Links should not be taken as an endorsement of any kind. The Landmark Trust has no control over the availability of the linked pages.

Find directions to The Priest's House

Clear directions
Essential info
What you need to know about this building
Booking and Payment
Staying at a Landmark
Facilities
History

Built as a church house

The name Priest’s House is misleading as this building was probably built c1500 as a church house, of which more survive in Devon than anywhere else. They were successors to the communal, or Lord’s brew-house, and the predecessor of the village hall. Everything from church feasts and 'ales' to raise money for the parish church, to the feeding and housing of travellers and the poor took place under their roofs. They were built mainly during the 15th and 16th centuries but church ales were outlawed during the Reformation.

In the late 17th/early 18th centuries church houses became inns or poor-houses, or simply houses or cottages. Village tradition has it that it was at one time the priest's house, and hence its present name; this could have risen from a misunderstanding, but it could also be true - two fireplaces were added probably in the 17th century. This may have been done to adapt the building for use as a lodging for the priest before the present vicarage was built in the 18th century. After that, it seems, the house became an outbuilding for Holcombe Court, probably with some sort of agricultural use, and its ownership actually passed from the parishioners to the Lord of the manor. This could have happened very easily when the squire and the parson were united in the person of the Rev. Robert Bluett, between 1725 and 1749.

A single storey waggon shed was added on the south at about this time and it seems likely that the wide openings in the east wall of the Priest's House were also made then. It was these that caused the wall to bulge, so that they were later blocked up, and the buttresses built to prevent collapse, at some time in the 19th century.

By 1858 the Priest’s House was described as 'ruinous', but in 1915 Country Life reported that the then owner, Mrs Rayer, had 'assisted to put in order the old Church House'. But on closer examination an architectural conundrum emerged - was the moulded ceiling nearly original or a recent insertion? It turned out that the first floor frame would only fit the building if the east wall was in its present leaning position; there would not be room for it if the wall was vertical. So was the ceiling itself an addition, but an early one, in that it appears to be of much the same date as the rest of the building? But there was no evidence elsewhere in the building for such an alteration.

So we come to another village tradition, that the floor frame came out of Holcombe Court. This would be perfectly possible, especially if it was done as part of Mrs Rayer's restoration c.1900. But once again there was evidence against this solution. The positions of the original partitions, now reinstated, were clear from the mortices in the undersides of the cross-beams, and they fit in very well with the likely lay-out of the original church house: would that be so if the ceiling came from elsewhere?

Also, in 1868 there was a reference to three rooms - a kitchen, a refectory ('adorned with moulded beams'), and a cellar or store-room - which fits the division of the ground floor, and implies that there were partitions still there. An ornamental ceiling of some sort must therefore have existed then too.

A short history of Priest's House

The complete history album of Priest's House

Download the children's Explorer pack for Priest's House

Restoration

The restoration was relatively simple

Unlike its history, the restoration of the house did not prove complicated, and was completed in only about nine months. This was because the building itself was basically sound. The north gable did have to be taken down, as did the two chimneys, but otherwise the walls only needed some repointing. One half of the roof had been renewed in the 1960's when a tree had fallen on it in a gale, bringing down both part of the west wall as well. As a result, the northern half was covered in Welsh slate, and the southern in local Treborough slates.

The latter were salvaged and used for the stable roof, but the house is now covered with new Delabole slates, which are more in character with the originals. The roof structure itself needed only minimal repair.

The windows were also in good condition, needing only minor repairs, and in some cases a new lintel or cill, and re-glazing. All the repairs were made in oak. Three new oak windows were inserted, copied from the originals; one on the west in the doorway to the Court, which, being no longer required, was blocked up; and two on the east in old openings, although to make one, an 18th-century tombstone had to be carefully moved. Inside, the great fireplace lintel and the chimney above it needed some reinforcing with steel ties and bearers, and the lintel itself, which was found to be hollow, has been strengthened by the injection of epoxy resin.

The floor frame itself needed some repair, to the end of beams for example, and one section which was charred has been renewed. The burn mark on the west fireplace was only made quite recently however, while the house was used as a builder's store.

The partitions are entirely new, though in old positions, and copying what was there originally. The oak, like that of the windows, has simply been waxed. The floor is of Hamstone flags, which matched the sandstone in the great fireplace. Much old lime plaster survived on the walls, and this has been patched, and then limewashed to a colour close to what was there before.

The soffits, or undersides of the ceiling boards, have, like the new staircase, been painted a good medieval red. Traces of such a red can just be seen on the oak newel post, which has been left uncovered.

Upstairs new partitions have been inserted - there probably wouldn't have been any originally, since the village feasts would have been held there, with people seated at trestle tables - and also a ceiling. This was necessary because otherwise the bedrooms would have been too high for their size, and the northern half of the roof is in any case undistinguished. The apex of the original roof can be seen through a trap door.

The big chimney breast has been cut back to make extra room. To provide soundproofing and insulation, felt was laid on the existing deal floorboards - which probably date from c.1900 - and then on top, lying crossways, wider elm boards.

In the church house, a type of building which has not existed for some centuries, there took place some of the most popularly imagined scenes of Mediaeval and Tudor life - the stomping of feet, the merry revellers; in this house it is easy to imagine.

Availability & booking

Select a changeover day to start your booking...

What's a changeover day? and Why can't I select other dates?Explain MoreQuestion